[Digikam-users] Hardware Advice Please

Roy Bellingan admin at seisho.us
Sun Nov 3 19:35:44 GMT 2013

Il 03/11/2013 20:04, Mick Sulley ha scritto:
> I am about to build a new desktop PC.  I think the most demanding task
> will be DigiKam and I would welcome advice on components.
> I have decided to go with Intel i7 processor, not decided which model
> yet.  The thing I am struggling with is the graphics card, they range
> from very cheap to ridiculously expensive and I really have no idea
> how the quality of the graphics card will affect the performance when
> running DigiKam.  It will be running Debian.

Hy mick, i suggest to give a look at AMD stuff, both for VGA and CPU..
http://www.phoronix.com/
Check for cpu benchmark, and remember that some Digikam task are single
threaded (i7 win), but some are multithreaded (AMD Fx Win)...
I suggest amd due to Intel monopoly, competition is better for all of us
ecc ecc...

The VGA 2d capabilities of a 35€ card are enough for all your need, and
as long as you use a DVI connector you don't have to worry about image
quality, if you use a old VGA connector you need a higher grade vga card
(due to the need of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter#Video)

IF digikam will start to support OpenCl is another story, in this case
the amd vga card wins hand down...
(and you will need a > 150€ card to take advantage of this)

--
*Roy Bellingan*