[Digikam-users] Which collection option for NFS automounts?

Jonathan Marten jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 2 16:08:41 GMT 2013

Hello all,

After having reorganised my home network I'm planning to set up digiKam to
index and tag everything from scratch, since I did some experimenting but no
serious work with my old setup.  I'm planning to have some collections served
from an NFS server via automounts, i.e. accessing "/shares/photos"
automatically mounts server:/export/photos at that path.

My question is: in this case, is there any difference between entering this
path as either a "Local Collection" or a "Collection on Network Shares" in
digiKam?  The path would be the same in both cases.  There is some possibility
that the network share may not be accessible if the server were to go down,
but assuming that this does not happen, is there any practical difference
between the two options?  If there is, which one would it be best to use?

I know that the database has problems being on an NFS share, so will ensure
that this is on a local path.

Any advice will be appreciated!

--
Jonathan Marten                         http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk