[Digikam-users] Metadata

Jean-François Rabasse jf at e-artefact.eu
Sun Jun 30 15:42:28 BST 2013

Hi Anders,

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013, Anders Lund wrote:

> I don't know if "delayed" is any good.
>
> In my workflow, I typically import, select, tag, process and export images.
> When exporting, having those metadata writte to the image is smart.

I said delayed, or postponed, in a general case because metadata in images
files is of no use for Digikam, so not urgent, except when exporting images.
This is right.

So, yes, if you do all in one session and want to have metadata in your
exported images, update should have been done before.

> Writing meta data to images, I assume, is a question of copying data from the
> digikam db into the image or sidecar file. So everytime an images data
> changes, it should go into the queue, unless it is allready there. Now if the
> actual data writing is done by a spearate process, what is the problem? That
> process must then be throtteled, so that it does not take the system down.

The problem would be that this leads to a very complicated software
architecture.
See the detailed message from Remco Viëtor, on June 29th, 10:51.

But anyway, it's certainly up to Digikam devel. team to comment those
different options, update at once, update at exit, update asynchronously.

Regards,
Jean-François