[Digikam-users] Problems with Digikam 3.2 (Kubuntu backport or general?)

Jean-François Rabasse jf at e-artefact.eu
Thu Jun 27 20:26:23 BST 2013

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Peter Albrecht wrote:

> On 27.06.2013 09:02, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > 2013/6/27 Kai Benndorf <kai.benndorf at web.de>:
> > > 4) Single 90° right turning in GUI turns it often 180°
> > Never seen this problem here.
>
> I have a similar problem, too: If I newly import images from
> my camera to digikam, they are not automatically rotated (see
> bug #314441). Portraits seem to need just a 90° clockwise
> rotation. So I click the icon "rotate right". But instead of a
> simple 90° turn, they turn around 180°. Every succeeding
> rotation does a correct 90° turn. So I just hit the rotate
> left afterwards, and everything is fine. ; )

I confirm what Peter says.
I've always seen exactly this behaviour, turn 90° counter clockwise
(With all DK versions I've used, from 1.3 to 2.6.)

(I found a bit strange to provide a 180° rotation, because
holding a camera with top down and bottom up to the sky,
to shoot something that would require a 180° rotation is not that
common:-) Most portrait oriented images require +90° for right
eyed users, and -90° for left eyed users.)

Anyway I didn't care much, mostly for the reasons stated by JD.

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, jdd wrote:

> but I fear that sometime on whatever software, the tag is not
> read but the side ration instead, frinally I giveup and some
> of my photos in gallery are not rightly oriented.
>
> notice that piwigo have now a rotate option, but this one do
> not always work neither, so why I suspect the problem come
> from an underlying library.
>
> what makes things worst is that some *display" software use
> the tag to rotate, but not all, so it's difficult to know what
> is the status of an image

I agree. Looks like not all software behave the same, regarding
images rotations. Neither do all images albums web hosting
services.

Also, when one derive an image variant without Exif information
(what I do for e.g. small versions for web pages thumbnails),
all flags are lost and only a correctly oriented pixels matrix
can lead to correct display.

So I rotate myself, with image editor, and leave Digikam in
« do not show rotated » mode. Don't know if there's a better
solution...

Regards,
Jean-François