[Digikam-users] New Tool: Tags Manager

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 21:42:54 BST 2013

On 6/25/13, Andrew Goodbody <elfringham at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/06/13 20:00, Veaceslav Munteanu wrote:
>> There is a reason why database and image metadata shouldn't be out of
>> sync...
>
> While this may be true in an ideal world unfortunately there are
> scenarios that are somewhat reasonable for having them out of sync.
> eg I have some photos sent to me by a friend that has some tags applied
> to it. I do not want to remove those tags nor do I wish to import them
> into my database but I do wish to add my own tags.

That's an excellent example of when and why you'd want the database
tags and image tags out of sync. In an ideal world digiKam would be
able to handle "always in sync" and and also "not always in sync". Has
anyone ever used a photo-management software that had this kind of
functionality implemented? If so, how did the user interface work? How
were the options phrased?

> A sync operation is going to be very slow on any reasonably large
> collection of photos unless you are going to maintain a list of affected
> photos.

This is true. That's why I disable writing to the images until I'm
done tagging for the session, then go back and enable writing to the
images and write them all at once (a slow process). Maintaining a list
of modified images sounds like a nice idea - would that of itself slow
things down?