[Digikam-users] New Tool: Tags Manager

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 16:16:50 BST 2013

>I think I'll keep Nepomuk optional and will add an option to disable nepomuk sync
>even for users who have nepomuk installed, if devs won't mind.

Thanks! Sincerely and heartily thank you! If the devs do mind, let us
know so we can try to persuade them otherwise!

In the meantime, regarding tagging in general, has someone given you a
list of (or have you searched for) the relevant bug reports, feature
requests and perhaps relevant recent user threads? Such as this
thread? http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/How-to-remove-quot-left-behind-quot-tag-tree-td4660139.html

Regarding synchronizing the database and what's written to files:
One feature that I would like very much is having the tags written to
the database and the image or xmp files (I only write to xmp sidecar
files), but have the "write to sidecar (or image)" action not happen
automatically, but only as desired, such as at the end of a tagging
session. It might be nice to have an option to automatically offer to
write to file before closing digiKam.

At present I disable writing to the sidecar files until I'm finished
tagging (because writing to the database is so much faster), then
re-enable writing to write the tags to the files just before I close
digiKam (because I don't trust only having the database hold the
information). These extra "disable-enable-disable" steps are fiddly
and easy to forget.

Also, is better image searching/filtering by tags on your agenda?

Elle

--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com - articles on open source digital photography