[Digikam-users] How to keep digiKam from deleting image files

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 23:44:51 BST 2013

I've never had this problem before, either. But then again I've never
intentionally used digiKam to delete an image OR to put it in the
trash. I just don't use digiKam that way. I don't even have the delete
icon or the trash icon on my toolbar! So I really don't know how I
managed to hit the right keyboard combination. But I did. And bye-bye
a whole bunch of raw files.

My point is all these images that were deleted by digiKam were
read-only. I thought that protected the images from accidental
deletion. A lot of people thing the same thing! IT DOESN'T. This is
how Linux file permissions work.

I never liked the fact that digiKam allows the possiblity of deleting
files. I'm not blaming digiKam! But it would be very nice if there was
an option to completely disable the delete possibility.

Again, fortunately I have backups. And I've taken steps to make sure
digiKam can't delete any files even if I deliberately hit the delete
button.

But being somewhat clumsy at the keyboard, I am very leery of using
digiKam to catalog and find any images other than my write-only
originals (seldom does one select so many images with anything other
than a DAM program, which is why the delete option is so very
dangerous).

Alas this issue obtains with any image management software, unless
that software has the ability to disable the delete option. Anyone
know of such a software?

Elle

--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com - articles on open source digital photography