[Digikam-users] Image text

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon Jul 29 01:22:57 BST 2013

On 29/07/13 09:57, Erik Felthauser wrote:
> PNG absolutely supports metadata. It is not defined/standardized as much
> as jpg, but is supported, and digikam writes to it all the same info,
> and I find most programs I have tried also read it fine. GIMP
> unfortunately does not yet retain png metadata after editing, so must
> copy using exiv2 or exiftool, but there are plans to fix that
> eventually, I believe.
>
> On Jul 28, 2013 6:43 PM, "Simon Cropper"
> <simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
> <mailto:simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com>> wrote:
>
>  > Some file formats do not support metadata -- e.g. PNG --

Erik,

You are totally right. My answer was a bit simplistic.

I regularly use PNG with GIMP and have a range of scripts I have created
to reinsert my metadata using exiv2.

That said, for the uninitiated, it can be confusing why their metadata
is stripped out of their photos.

 > ... and digikam writes to it all the same info ...

OK, thats new... last time I checked it didn't but I just tried it and
all the data is transferred. Great.

People will still have problems when using some external tools like GIMP
or ImageMagik to do some specific edits.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides