[Digikam-users] Opening raw file from different programs shows different results

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jul 9 07:14:50 BST 2013

On Tuesday 09 July 2013 07:57:51 HaJo Schatz wrote:
> I think he's saying that a developed RAW displayed in UFRaw looks darker
than the RAW, after developing, in DigiKam. Maybe.

That's quite possible (perhaps even likely).

> I don't work with UFRaw but this is the behavior with darktable since
DigiKam will always display the original, not some modifications that the DT
development did.

You can't display the RAW image. So neither DigiKam nor DT will display
'the original'.

But, every RAW file (afaik) has an embedded jpeg image developed in-camera
according to the camera algorithms and settings.  This jpeg is the image
you see when reviewing your shots on the camera screen, and when looking at
RAW files in Digikam's or DT's album view (or equivalent).

To see a bit of what I tried to explain, try developing a RAW several times
in Digikam with different 'White balance/highlights' settings, and with and
without 'Auto brightness' ticked.

And check the tone curve DT applies to the RAW image after demosaicing,
it's rather spectacular. I'm sure Digikam applies a similar curve 'under
the hood', as it's needed to get a visually 'correct' image.