[Digikam-users] Cannot GPS correlate raw files

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 17:40:21 BST 2013

2013/7/8  <fagopher at cfl.rr.com>:
> RAW are read only files. GPS info are normally stored in digiKam DB
> for read only files. It's work properly with my ARW files.
>
> ->
> Thanks for the response.
>
> 1. If this is expected you might want to consider changing the reported error. For an end user, the error message "Unable to save changes to File" means something is wrong.
>
> 2. Since I can add the GPS location using other programs directly into the RAW file (GpicSync for example), I was expecting digiKam to be able to do the same. If I add a gps location to a raw file, I expect to be able to process my file into other formats, or use a different editor, and still be able to see the GPS info. Maybe you want to consider allowing this feature.

Aha. In fact RAW writing metadata support is delegate to a sub
component named Exiv2. Only few Raw tiff/ep based file format can be
updated. Look in digiKam/setup/metadata page. This option is disable
by default.

But i recommend to turn on XMP sidecar support which is more
dangerous. After all, RAW are digital negative and must be unchanged.

I don't know how other program do, but i suspect to use Exiftool in
background. In all case i must aware you about file alteration risk
here. Raw are proprietary format not documented. Thanks to camera
maker to build a big puzzle here. Writing metadata support is done
through reverse engineering. As usual in computer science, a bug is
always possible somewhere...