[Digikam-users] Digikam does cannot find camera

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Fri Jul 5 01:24:04 BST 2013

On 05/07/13 04:58, Fabio wrote:
> I think the issue here is that you camera is being mounted as a storage
> device rather than a camera.
>
> When connecting, don't select "Open in folder" view (I think that is
> what it is called). Tell Windows to mount as a camera and point to
> digikam, or don't do anything then try and mount via digikam.
>

>  >

> resending it as my previous response got stuck due to the size. I
> attached screenshots and I got a reply:

> The reason it is being held:
>
>      Message body is too big: 413695 bytes with a limit of 80 KB
>

> So here is what I said:
>
> When I connect the camera I choose no options (just close the pop up
> window). When I check in file manager the camera shows up under "Devices
> and Printer" and not under "Storage" or "Hard Drives"
>
> I tried also with a Nikon D70 with same results. Only difference is the
> autoplay window. In Nikon D70 it pops up the default autoplayer asking
> how to open it. With nikon D5000 I get a Nikon window with same purpose
> (asking what to do with it).
>
> In both cases it does not allow me to open it using digiKam.. Only
> options are Dropbox and Windows default.
>
> Thanks

If you are in digikam can you access the camera?

Personally I don't have a Windows version of digiKam running as it is a
KDE package but even on Ubuntu it does not appear in the list of
packages to use when the camera is plugged in. If I want digiKam to see
the camera I open digiKam and attempt to connect from the menu.

On my machine however I have never actually got this working properly. I
connect the camera as a USB storage device and copy the files to the
directory I want under the main album. DigiKam rescans its albums every
time you open it so all these images are sucked in quite quickly.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides