[Digikam-users] Import from scanner problems

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 09:49:17 GMT 2013

I am trying to scan some colour negatives. In response to Dmitri Popov's
article
http://scribblesandsnaps.com/2013/01/29/process-film-negatives-with-digikam/
I am trying to make use of digikam for this.
I can use xsane to produce a full colour scan of the negatives, saved as
png or tiff. I then use digikam image editor as described in the article
mentioned above. This works very well but I wanted to eliminate the use
of xsane.
So I tried to use the Import from scanner function in digikam. Apart
from a bug that causes a segfault in digikam when I launch the scanner a
2nd time I have another problem. The preview looks as it should, ie just
like the film negative, a reddish brown rectangle. However when the scan
is completed and the image is saved then it has a very strong blue cast.
The thumbnail shown in digikam is still reddish brown but the main image
shows this blue cast. I presume that some sort of colour correction is
being applied but I don't know how to stop that happening. Anyone know?

I just need a faithful scan of the negative so that the film negative
inversion can do its job. This blue cast is interfering with that.

Andrew