[Digikam-users] Digikam XMP schema ?

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 12 17:01:04 GMT 2013

Hello,

I've a question, probably to the Digikam developpers but maybe
someone else knows...

I have a problem with Digikam XMP metadata, specially with the
tags list.
The libexiv2 (used by DK) processes this property as an ordered
list, i.e. in RDF representation a <rdf:Seq>
Other software (exiftool, the Gimp) process as an unordered list,
a <rdf:Bag>.

I don't know which is right or wrong (even if imho it should be
unordered, as does LightRoom for the HierarchicalSubject list)
but when an image file has « travelled » between different software,
the XMP metadata becomes a bit weird and can contain duplicates.
E.g. :
   <digiKam:TagsList>
    <rdf:Seq>
      Here the list of my tags in <rdf:li> ... </rdf:li>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </digiKam:TagsList>
   <digiKam:TagsList>
    <rdf:Bag>
      Here exactly the same list as above.
    </rdf:Bag>
   </digiKam:TagsList>

And with that, interoperability is really broken. Libexiv2 and thus
applications based on libexiv2 as Digikam, rejects input because of the
duplication.
(And other applications, e.g. exiftool, don't reject but concatenate the
two properties, leading to all list items being redoubled.)

** My question : where can I find an official, authoritative definition
of Digikam XMP schema ? (In order to know on which forum to post the
problem, exiv2 ? exiftool ? other ?)

(Tried the declared URI xmlns:digiKam="http://www.digikam.org/ns/1.0/"
but I get a « Page not found » message, instead of a possible and
expected documentation.)

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Jean-François