[Digikam-users] Digikam installation on MAcOS through Macports

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 09:56:06 GMT 2013

Hi!

I followed directions in
http://www.digikam.org/download?q=download/binary/
to install digikam on MacOS (in my case, Lion 10.7.5), so
1. I installed Macports (which implies installing Apple's Xcode
Developer Tools , a real pain
as you must even register as a code developer...) and few easier
things all well explained in http://www.macports.org/install.php)
2. run sudo port install digikam
and left the computer working for hours (literally: keep it connected
to the power source).

Unfortunately, after all that I could not find any digikam icon and, worst,
could not find any direction in the digikam web page on what to do. I searched
for digikam with spotlight, found the digikam app and clicked on it: a little
icon booted for few seconds, then nothing.

Then I searched the digikam archives in nabble for macports and could
find a long thread
http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/digikam-MacOS-X-MacPorts-and-KDE-and-carsh-on-stratup-tt3175448.html
in which Gerard Milhaud was finally providing the solution:

""
Then, I relaunch these commands :
launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
sudo chown -R g ~/Library/Preferences/KDE
""
where "g" is his user name (so agustinlobo in my case)

And yes, it works now and I love it.
Great job, hopefully will be using it a lot both on Mac and linux but....

please: add this to the directions for installing digikam on MacOS
in http://www.digikam.org/download?q=download/binary/:

"Run
launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
sudo chown -R yourusername ~/Library/Preferences/KDE

where yourusername must be substituted by your user name on the Mac
You will find the digikam app ready to be launched within your
Applications folder in a folder
named Macports/KDE4 "

Thanks a lot for digikam!

Agus