[Digikam-users] Can digiKam write to Canon cr2 files?

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Wed Aug 28 00:33:36 BST 2013

On 27 Aug 2013, at 22:48, "Karl Günter Wünsch" <kgw at mineralien-verkauf.de> wrote:

> On 27/08/13 15:36, Gilles Caulier wrote:
>>> Consider XMP sidecar files as the only viable way of storing meta data
>>> as writing to the RAW file or even the JPEG will create an backup
>>> nightmare as instead of needing to backup one small file you then would
>>> have to backup the full large image file!
>>
>> Why it's a mess to backup image files + sidecar files at the same time
>> ? both are stored in collection at the same place and use the same
>> file name prefix..
> Nope, you read my comment wrong. It's a backup nightmare if the program
> were to write to the RAW or JPEG file, the XMP sidecar is the only
> viable solution that doesn't screw up the backup solution!

I don't understand this argument at all. Every better backup solution handles diffs automatically and usually a backup contains a lot of other files that get altered. Spreadsheets, text documents, source code files, binaries, you name it. Are they all a nightmare as well? Hell, you could even run a version control system on your images if you wished so...

Out of practical experience, I use sidecars for RAW but write metadata to JPEGs for easier export handling. And my backup runs flawless...