[Digikam-users] Can digiKam write to Canon cr2 files?

Jean-François Rabasse jf at e-artefact.eu
Mon Aug 26 21:00:24 BST 2013

Hello,

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Elle Stone wrote:

> Can digiKam write to Canon cr2 files?
>
> Does it write to any raw files?

I don't know for Canon raw files, but as Digikam uses the exiv2 library,
probably the answer is to be found in exiv2 supported formats.

   http://dev.exiv2.org/wiki/exiv2/Supported_image_formats

And the above page says yes for CR2 files, so...

And this page says also :
« Be sure to test carefully if your applications work well with images
   modified by Exiv2. ».
Sounds wise.

> Does anyone on the list allow it to write to their raw files?

I've abandonned using raw files these last two years, but in the past
my raw images were readonly locked, always.
I totally agree with what Remco said 15 mn ago, and I think too that
sidecar files are the most safe way to keep/edit metadata with risk zero.
When embedding metadata into images files comes necessary, it's always
possible to write to a safe format, PNG or JPEG.

Another good reason to use sidecar files comes when you use several
programs to work on your images. Some are broken wrt metadata updating
(e.g. The GIMP) and having metadata in a safe place (readonly sidecar
files) is wise.

Regards,
Jean-François