[Digikam-users] Can digiKam write to Canon cr2 files?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 26 20:35:01 BST 2013

On Monday 26 August 2013 14:55:04 Elle Stone wrote:
> Can digiKam write to Canon cr2 files?
No idea.

> Does it write to any raw files?
There is an option in the settings dialog (metadata section) to allow
writing to RAW files, but it is still marked as experimental (in version
3.3.0)

> Does anyone on the list allow it to write to their raw files?

No way I'll allow any program to write to my RAW files:
I consider them my 'negatives' and don't want any more risk than necessary
of losing them. Writing to them increases the risk, so is a big nono for
me. the Digikam database plus the XMP sidecars should be enough for normal
use (with proper backups of course).

Don't forget that most RAW formats have data in a obfuscated and
unpublished format, so any interpretation is obtained through reverse
engineering the format. That means there's a  chance that part of some
formats is misunderstood, and writing to such a format might make the file
unreadable; perhaps not for the program that wrote the faulty data, but
another program or a newer version could have a better, stricter, or just
different interpretation of the RAW data, and fail to read such a file.

Remco