[Digikam-users] faulty profiles in /usr/share/apps/libkdcraw/profiles folder

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 23:38:31 BST 2013

On 8/23/13, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de> wrote:
> The problem is that the original AdobeRGB profile's license does not allow
> us
> to distribute it (at the time when I checked it did not).
> It is free to download, and if it's installed - for me it usually is by my
> distribution - digikam will find it and use it.

Regarding distribution of the official AdobeRGB, Adobe does require a license.

It also isn't clear what Adobe would consider an allowable name for an
"Adobe-like" open source profile: "Companies who are not Adobe
licensees but who claim to have technology that is compatible with
Adobe RGB (1998) ICC profile software may claim, if true, that their
products are "compatible with the Adobe RGB (1998) ICC profile" as
long as nothing in the circumstances would create consumer confusion."
(http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/AdobeRGB1998.pdf; also see
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/adobergb.html)

This whole issue of what to call open source versions of popular
copyrighted profiles is vexing. Rawtherapee has resorted to Large,
Medium, and Small for ProPhotoRGB, AdobeRGB, and sRGB!

> But we need a backup, and had this obviously faulty profile.
> So, a correct  AdobeRGB profile which we are
> allowed to ship would be welcome...

The Argyllcms ClayRGB1998.icm profile that you get when you install
Argyllcms is an open source/public domain version of AdobeRGB.

I'm writing up a little stand-alone c program that generates proper
RGB V4 icc working space profiles. The bare-bones program works. The
next step is to add in descriptions and copyright information. I'm
happy to share the code if anyone is interested.

--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com - color management & open source photography