[Digikam-users] Advices for a new cpu + mobo + ram - probably Off Topic

Peter Albrecht peter at crazymonkeys.de
Wed Aug 14 19:10:58 BST 2013

On 11.08.2013 16:48, Peter Mc Donough wrote:
> SSD, as I understand it, is for accelerating access to often used data.
> I don't care if my computer takes 30s more for booting if I later spend
> hours on pictures.
> If you have enough memory on your motherboard, programs and data will be
> cached anyway and that access is always faster than any external drive.
> So check the optimum motherboard memory configuration before you buy.

I have enabled "Scan for new items at startup". So digiKam
startup took 35 seconds on my old hdd. I moved all my photos
to a new SSD (I don't keep RAWs), and now digiKam startup
has been reduced to 28 seconds. ;)

But as you say: Waiting a few seconds can be neglected
compared to the long time editing photos.
But it is faster. ;)

Regards,
	Peter