[Digikam-users] Advices for a new cpu + mobo + ram - probably Off Topic

Peter Mc Donough mcd-mail-lists at gmx.net
Sun Aug 11 15:48:35 BST 2013

Am 11.08.2013 12:07, schrieb ultimateclem:
> I'm a long term user of digikam, and using it for professional purpose. I
> need to make a new computer. Some of you may help me choosing the mother
> board, the cpu and the ram ?

The graphics chip with OpenGL and 3D should be supported out of the box.
It saves some trouble on the long run if you are not forced to use any
proprietary drivers.
OpenGL promises faster processing with some filters "real soon now".
3D capabilities tell you something about Linux compatibility.

SSD, as I understand it, is for accelerating access to often used data.
I don't care if my computer takes 30s more for booting if I later spend
hours on pictures.
If you have enough memory on your motherboard, programs and data will be
cached anyway and that access is always faster than any external drive.
So check the optimum motherboard memory configuration before you buy.

cu
Peter