[Digikam-users] database on laptop and server/NAS

Manuel Bock mbs at mbsnet.de
Wed Sep 12 09:56:31 BST 2012

For filtered dia shows I have a digikam instance running on a small PC
attached to the TV, that accesses the server's database. I wonder, if
accessing a central mysql db could also be the solution for other, read only
apps, accessing the digikam vault of pictures. But even then, there remains my
initial problem or question:

How do I work offline with digikam (out of the LAN, internet connection too
slow or simply not available) and how do I import the advanced meta data
afterwards, currently not  stored  in the picture file's meta data or it's
side cart?

Is there an easy way to dump the server's mysql db for import into the laptops
sqlite's and vice versa? How do I synchronize the corrsponding file structure,
when the laptop is not capable of holding all pictures?

Since there seems to be a cryptographic hash used for the uniqueHash, Ben
asked for, there might be chance of writing the script he proposes. Still
conflict resolution is to be determinded. I guess, this could also be used for
bringing over non-destructive editing or versioning information?

My proposal to extend the "Export to .." and "Import from another computer"
function to use a side cart for holding the currently missing meta data would
leave the conflict resolution transparently with the user and would help round
up  the user experience again:

* When I am importing files, the meta data contained in those pictures gets
added to my DB.

* Exporting and importing things form digikam, a user would expect, this
covers all the meta data. he entered (wearing my Mac glasses currently ;-))

* Surprisingly, parts of it gets lost, and I have to have at least a partly
understanding of the data structure or digikam's history to understand what
will get lost.

* For control freaks or data sharing with others, there could even be the a
granualar setup, which meta data to in/exclude ;-)

* a new person will be imported as a new tag, and a detected/marked face could
be added as well, the different image files are already imported, the
additional non-destructive editing steps would be imported and the revisioning
relation could be imported as well

* if I import pictures as duplicates, I can use find duplicates - I mean: it
was my fault, so I have to do cleaning up (I can even import picture from a
camera twice)

Would it be a big effort to implement that meta data export/import add-on?
Does it make sense to add this to the wish list? Is the proposed
external/internal script a better solution, or is yet another, better approach
already coming up?

regards
Manuel