[Digikam-users] Filesystem lost images - can digiKam report which ones?

Kyle Altendorf kyle.altendorf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 12:00:10 BST 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Ben Staude <sben1783 at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi kyle,
>
> did you start DigiKam since you lost the images? If yes, do you have a recent
> backup of its database?

Backup?  Hah!  You're funny.  :]  Though the fact that I haven't been
backing up for quite awhile is not so particularly funny.  :[

> One possible route to go would be some perl (or the
> like) script to "loop through all "Images" entries in digikams database and
> check if the file exists in the filesystem".

I was hoping digiKam had such a feature built-in.  I feel like I
remember it from a few years back, but that's probably just wishful
thinking.  If I do write such a script I'll be sure to share it here.

> If you already did start digikam, the image data (name, file size etc) should
> still be there, but the paths might be lost. And you might not be able to
> decide whether a file is lost or has been deleted intentionally some day in
> the past.

For the most part I mark with one star rather than deleting, so that
could make this a touch easier.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Cheers,
-kyle