[Digikam-users] How to remove "left behind" tag tree

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sat Oct 27 15:27:29 BST 2012

> I've had similiar experiences when trying to use the same tag structure
> in different programs. I had thought that if the tags are stored in the
> xmp sidecar files it would be easy to have tag trees synchronized over
> different porgramms, computers or even OS.  So I intuitively also
> believed that data stored in sidecar files are synchronized to data
> stored in tha database and vice versa. Be it automatically or on demand.
> However this does not work (for me at least, might be I'm doing
> something wrong). Not even with between two installations of digikam.
>
> DK is one of the mightiest image management tool. And I really like it a
> lot. But this issue is really a blocker for me.
>
> It would be great to know if this is a problem of philosophy or of
> technology. IE is the behaviour intended to be like this (and will not
> change) or are there technical limitations, problems, etc keeping DK
> from synchronizing metadata between sidecar files and database?

In 309058 we are trying to find out if there is a testcase where reading or
writing to sidecars behaves differently to reading or writing to the image
file's XMP. It should not; the only difference is that in an image file there
is additionally IPTC keywords which may somehow interfere.

The problem that a reorganization of the tag tree is not transported to the
files having assigned these tags is discussed in extenso.