[Digikam-users] Digikam 2.9: Save image comments to file

Peter Albrecht peter at crazymonkeys.de
Sun Oct 14 19:43:51 BST 2012

Wow, thanks for research and in-depth information!

On 14.10.2012 14:02, Jean-François Rabasse wrote:
> Peter says saving de-DE title and caption works for him.
> Peter, what's your default O.S. session language ? German
> maybe ?

My language settings are:
------------------- 8< -------------------
# locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE=de_DE.utf8
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.utf8
LC_TIME=de_DE.utf8
LC_COLLATE=POSIX
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.utf8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
LC_PAPER=de_DE.utf8
LC_NAME=de_DE.utf8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.utf8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.utf8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.utf8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.utf8
LC_ALL=
------------------- >8 -------------------
Almost all set to de_DE, but LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8.
I guess this adds another level of complexity. ;)

> As for me, as my O.S. is installed in English, en-US, saving
> with fr-FR language doesn't work (except if I add first
> the same text with lang=x-default).

Adding only a de_DE title to a picture works in my system.
Even adding a fr_FR title to a picture works:
Okteta shows:
--------------------- 8< ---------------------
<dc:title>
  <rdf:Alt>
    <rdf:li xml:lang="fr-FR">fr-title</rdf:li>
  </rdf:Alt>
</dc:title>
--------------------- >8 ---------------------
in the XMP-Metadata in the file.

What I did:
  1) start digikam
  2) copy a picture imported from my camera, not tagged yet
  3) select "fr-FR" for the title
  4) typed "fr-title" in the input box
  5) click "Apply"
  6) opened the jpg with okteta

> So, the safe and simple way is to stick to x-default.:-)

That's the way, I am happily working with digikam several
years now. ;)

> NB: Editing multi languages metadata is not a simple task. From the
> Digikam GUI it requires selecting x-default, then typing the text and
> clicking Apply, then selecting e.g. fr-FR, type the text, Apply, then
> selecting en-US, type, Apply, etc.

That's different with my digikam (and my libkexiv2 / exiv2):
  1) start digikam
  2) copy a picture imported from my camera, not tagged yet
  3) select "ar-EG" for the title
  4) typed "ar-EG-title" in the input box
  3) select "de-LI" for the title
  4) typed "de-LI-title" in the input box
  3) select "fr-FR" for the title
  4) typed "fr-FR-title" in the input box
  5) click "Apply"
  6) opened the jpg with okteta

This shows me:
<dc:title>
  <rdf:Alt>
    <rdf:li xml:lang="ar-EG">ar-EGtitle</rdf:li>
    <rdf:li xml:lang="de-LI">de-LI-title</rdf:li>