[Digikam-users] Tags and metadata for photo and video

Cédric Macquat cmacquat at gmx.net
Thu May 17 12:03:50 BST 2012

Hello,

I want to manage my photo collection and video collection with digikam.
With digikam I tagged my photos and I want to begin with the video. My
problem is the following: If I want to use another software to manage my
photos and video in the future (perhaps one time another one will fit
better to my needs, but for the moment digikam is perfect :-D) how can I
make sure I don't have to retag everything ? When I will have much more
photos and videos it won't be possible to do the work again.
For the moment I did the following. At first I had photos in jpg format.
I had written the tags in the jpg files. But now I have a mixt of photo
in jpg and raw format. I can't write the tags in the metadata of the raw
format. It would be possible (I saw it's experimental for the moment) to
write in the raw files, but it's not advised. So I discovered the xmp
sidecar and I created for every tagged photos a .xmp file.
But now I will tag my videos and with digikam it's not possible to
create a xmp file for videos. I think the best way the retain the tag is
to write in the metadata of the video, but how ? Or can I create an xmp
sidecar for video with another software ? At the moment I'm looking at
exiftool but until now I was not able to create an xmp sidecar for video
with the same format as for the photos.
If you don't know: what is your strategy to make sure you won't have to
retag everything if you change one time digikam for another software ?
And for the developpers: is it planned in the near future that it will be
possible to create an xmp sidecar for videos ?

Thank you!