[Digikam-users] BUG? move to album / overwrite destination problem

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 17 10:35:48 BST 2012

Hello,

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Remco Viëtor wrote:

> For me, there are two reasons to avoid writing to RAW files:
> - They are the original, irreplacable data that I like to keep in its
> original state. (I have backups, but still...)
> - There is no such thing as _a_ raw format: every camera maker has his
> own formats (yes, plural : ( ) And those formats are poorly specified,
> especially wrt to the 'makerdata' EXIF section, so it's very easy to
> corrupt something when writing to such a file. The situation is
> getting better through a lot of hard work from volunteers (not me,
> I hasten to add), but given the sheer number of raw formats in
> existence, there will probably always be formats that are not
> understood.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Remco. Sounds like it's a matter
of trustworthy and reliability of open source software wrt proprietary
formats.

But ok, this for raw files. And about JPEG files :

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Peter Albrecht wrote:

> In reference to "and perhaps a bad idea for original out-of-camera
> jpgs as well": Writing metadata to JPGs works very well for me,
> for several years now.
>
> The only drawback I can think of is the mentioned "changing the
> original".
>
> But I decided for me, to _not keep_ the original out-of-camera-jpgs.
> So I can live with this "issue". But this is a decision everyone has
> to make him-/herself.

Seems that both of you agree on « keep originals as they are » .
Should lead to the conclusion that the « zero risk » procedure is to
archive (e.g. USB drive) all out-of-camera data, then copy all or
selected images on main computer and work.
(And backup processed apart from original.)

Regards,

Jean-François