[Digikam-users] BUG? move to album / overwrite destination problem

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Tue May 15 21:03:32 BST 2012

On 15/05/12 18:23, Peter Albrecht wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> digiKam stores hash-keys for each picture in its database.
> So it should be able to detect picture movement outside of
> digiKam.

Yes, I'm aware of that, and it generally detects movements of picture
files quite reliably. However in the particular situation I have here
there are identical picture files (they're actually hard-linked) so if I
move the instance it has ratings for into the directory containing the
one that's not rated I'm pretty sure it would simply think that the
rated copy has been deleted.

> Another (safer) way would be to store the ratings _in_ the
> jpg-file.

That would use up unnecessary extra space in my snapshot-backup system
storing new copies of picture files when their embedded metadata changed.

As I say I can workaround this (apparent) bug by deleting the un-rated
copies of the files, getting dk to notice that these have disappeared,
and then moving the rated copies. (Midnight Commander is quite handy for
this as it can select all files in a directory which are different from
those in another directory, and work on that selected set of files.)

--
John Stumbles                                    http://stumbles.org.uk