[Digikam-users] Off-line Collection Browsing & DB cleanup

Nick Anderson nick at cmdln.org
Thu May 10 19:36:26 BST 2012

On 05/10/2012 12:48 PM, Peter Albrecht wrote:
> Hello Nick,
>
> maybe this post at "Scribbles and Snaps" may help you clean
> up your database (if it is broken again):
>
>> http://scribblesandsnaps.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/check-and-optimize-digikams-databases/

Thanks, I was using a mysql backend running on my local machine when i
discovered the cruft mentioned but t was never completely broken. I
think the two issues with the database were separate.

First some images would not display in the browser (when it was present
in the collection). I found something on the mailing list that I tweaked
in the db to restore the specific images that i knew were not
displaying, but that wouldn't cover any images that weren't displaying
that i did not know about. Ultimately thats why I decided to start with
a fresh DB, it was never completely broken.

As part of that investigation I found the references to pictures that no
longer existed or had been moved outside of digikam. Curious what the
best way to clean those up was. Doesn't seem to be a clear function to
clean references. Maybe remove the collection and re-add it? Does
removing a collection remove all database entries related to that
collection?