[Digikam-users] Off-line Collection Browsing & DB cleanup

Nick Anderson nick at cmdln.org
Thu May 10 15:59:15 BST 2012

Ive been using digikam for a while now. In general as a library
management tool it works well for me. There are two functions that I
don't understand.

Collections:
(I recently wiped out my digikam db and started fresh and have not
re-connected my remote collections yet so perhaps this has changed.)

The notion of remote or removable collections. Both the thumbnails and
the metadata are stored in the database correct? Whenever I launch
digikam and my network collections are not available I cant use digikam
to browse the disconnected collections. So in order to find an image I
have to have that collection connected? Since all the information is
available shouldn't I be able to search and browse the collection, but
be given some message about attaching the collection before being able
to view a full size image?

DB:
The reason I wiped out my db is because I rename and sort images with
some custom scripts. At one point some images could no longer be found
with digikam but they were inside the collections, and I did some db
spelunking and saw they were there too, I also noticed references to
files that I had moved outside of digikam. How do I "cleanup" that
database cruft? Is that what "rebuild fingerprints" is for? It wasnt
clear in the documentation what that function actually did.

I would appreciate any clarification and insight anyone can provide.