[Digikam-users] (no subject)

botta at pik-potsdam.de botta at pik-potsdam.de
Fri May 4 18:02:05 BST 2012

Gilles,

I have meanwhile tested 1.2.0 (Debian stable), 1.9.0 (Debian testing)
and 2.5.0 (Windows in Virtualbox).

The behavior is exactly the same: previews (half sized or via embedded
JPGs) look as if auto-brightness was always active. Unfortunately there
seems to be no way for users to setup how images are displayed in
previews.

In practice, previews are often significantly brighter/darker than the
images that one obtains by opening the image editor (with auto
brightness switched off) and significantly brighter/darker than the
images shown in thumbnails.

For completeness, I have also tried Lightroom 4 (again, under Windows in
Virtualbox). In LR4, previews of DNG files are consistent with views of
the correspondent JPG files and with the thumbnail views.

Although I find the UI of Digikam nicer that that of LR4 (which I do not
have really learned, so far) I think that the problem I have reported is
serious and prevents many users to make Digikam their first choice.

In fact, because the preview of DNG files sucks, users are de facto
forced to save both DNGs and JPGs on SD or, alternatively, to save only
DNGs and open the image editor every time they need to inspect a
picture.

best,
Nicola