[Digikam-users] (no subject) Bad embedded preview

Nicola Botta nicola at pik-potsdam.de
Thu May 3 07:37:27 BST 2012

I apologize for the missing "subject" in my previous post. One more
piece of information on the reported problem:

The problem is *not* related to RAW decoding or DNG conversion
whatsoever. As reported, RAW decoding works fine. I have not tried DNG
conversion. Both the DNG and the JPG files I'm considering are straight
from the camera. When I take pictures, I save both (built-in-camera)
DNGs and JPGs files to the SD card.

What is puzzling is that DNG thumbnail views looks fine but DNG previews
(after double-click on the thumbnail) are terrible.

My understanding is that thumbnail views and DNG previews (with
"Embedded preview loads full-sized images" unchecked) should be
renderings of the same JPG file (in-camera generated, embedded in the
DNG file) and should look similar.

Instead, previews seem to apply some sort of brightness auto-correction
and such behavior does not seem to be avoidable with the configuration
options available to users.

This is very frustrating and, in fact, the only reason why I am looking
for a digikam alternative.

Best,
Nicola