[Digikam-users] strange behaviour of save and album in digikam 2.5

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 22:57:44 BST 2012

On 29/03/12 18:59, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:

>>> Save changes as new version will do what you achieved previously with
>>> Save As. Both the source and the new version will be visible
>>
>> Maybe it would be less confusing if it was still labelled 'Save as'? To
>> me the use of 'new version' suggests that it would do something
>> different from the common understanding of 'Save as'.
>
> Hm the problem with "Save As" is that the user expects a file dialog to open
> to choose a filename. I wanted to get rid of this obligation (I think there is
> a wish in bugzilla to still be able to choose the file name, which makes
> sense, but e.g. for my personal workflow I dont want to care)

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder how many would share your wish to
save a copy without needing, or in fact being able, to specify the
filename for the copy? For me, for anything other than Save, whether it
is versioned or not, I would expect and want to see a dialogue box to
specify name and location of the new file.

> So I thought I needed a different wording, still one short enough to fit into
> the toolbar, and to emphasize that it's all slightly different with versioning
> enabled. With versioning disabled, you're back to Save As

It is the very fact that versioning is enabled that is making the
wording confusing, at least to me. IMO a new version of a file should
still be logically attached to the original image whereas you are using
it for creating a new file that is not logically attached to the
original image. Perhaps 'Save changes as new image' would be better.

Andrew