[Digikam-users] suddenly cannot choose a monitor profile in settings

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:18:53 GMT 2012

On Dec 22, 2009 Marcel(?) said,
"Digikam comes in when trying to find a monitor profile. If it finds one
specified by X, it will use it. I don't come up with a usecase where this
should not be done. Thus, the combo box is greyed out."

I would like to offer "a usecase where this [greying out the combo box]
should not be done". Here it is:

It is both possible and useful to have more than one completely different,
but equally valid and useful monitor profiles. I list 4 such alternative
monitor profiles:

(1) one monitor profile for general editing. This would be the
system-installed monitor profile.
(2) a different monitor profile, tailored to your printer-paper-lighting
combination, for soft-proofing prints.
(3) a third, lut-style monitor profile that is useful for inspecting details
that might be lost upon conversion from raw color to a standard working
space.
(4) a fourth monitor profile that is just for editing black and white
images, totally sacrificing color accuracy for the sake of better tonal
accuracy.

Gimp and UFRaw allow the user a choice even if a system monitor profile has
been installed. Could digiKam please please please pretty please be modified
to allow the user the same freedom of choice?

Warmest regards,
Elle Stone