[Digikam-users] Separate instances of digikam, different album trees, same machine?

guenter guenter.k at arcor.de
Wed Jun 6 17:39:25 BST 2012

Am 06.06.2012 11:17, schrieb John Stumbles:
> On 06/06/12 09:52, Sveinn í Felli wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tested running several Digikam instances
>> (separate users with different databases)?
>> -->  kdesu -u username digikam
>> Reluctant to modify my setup (all users using the same DB).
>
> Just tried it on my Ubuntu 11.10 system where I have kdesudo:
>
>     kdesudo -u otheruser digikam

Well, [kde]su[do] is normally used to get Super User privileges.
In KDE it's possible to "switch user", so that you have running
concorrent sessions for each user. To switch between sessions, use
ctrl+alt+F7, ctrl+alt+F8...).

> works.
>
> I guess I could set up another user account and set permissions to share
> files as necessary. Still pretty fugly though! ;-)

I have always a "tester" account. With this I test dk also. A new user
account here (openSuSE) is created with group "users" where all new
users are in.
So I did now the following:
* I gave rw rights for group(users) for tester's dk directory
(/home/tester/Bilder):
sudo chmod -R g+w /home/tester/Bilder/*

* Now with
digikam --database-directory /home/tester/Bilder/
I could start a second instance of dk using the database of "tester".

HTH