[Digikam-users] Separate instances of digikam, different album trees, same machine?

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jun 6 12:20:09 BST 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, John Stumbles wrote:

> Just tried it on my Ubuntu 11.10 system where I have kdesudo:
>
> 	kdesudo -u otheruser digikam
>
> works.
>
> I guess I could set up another user account and set permissions to share
> files as necessary. Still pretty fugly though! ;-)

Having different users means different homes and configuration files,
and it becomes possible to run different instances at the same time.
(Something I can't do with my unique config file moves.)

But right, you'll have to face access rights problems to your images,
when owned/updated from different accounts.

I've just tried the following trick :
Concurrent config files, for the same account, can be replaced by
concurrent KDE config subdirectory.

Shell script 1 (named dk1)
#!/bin/bash
export KDEHOME=${HOME}/.K1
digikam

Shell script 2 (named dk2)
#!/bin/bash
export KDEHOME=${HOME}/.K2
digikam

etc.
Upon first launch of any of the above commands, creation is done for
~/.K1/share/config/digikamrc or ~/.K2/...
then configure DK, base folder for DB, collections, etc.
(The --database-directory option is useless for a default value can
be set at configuration level.)

Works. Still ugly, yes, but you remain the unique owner for all files,
and you can run several concurrent instances.

Jean-François

NB: must be shell script, not shell aliases, not to pollute the regular
environment for other KDE applications.