[Digikam-users] command line tool to normalize exif orientation flag

jdd jdd at dodin.org
Fri Jun 1 09:03:23 BST 2012

Hello

I'm going a bit ahead. May be I found a possible understanding of the
problem.

jpg image have both a main image and a thumbnail. Looks like both have
exifs and orientation.

an example image gives:

exiv2 -pv 12.jpg | grep Orientation

12.jpg  0x0112 Image Orientation Short 1  6
12.jpg  0x0112 Thumbnail Orientation Short 1  6

changing orientation gives:

exiv2 -M"set Exif.Image.Orientation 1" 12.jpg
exiv2 -pv 12.jpg | grep Orientation

12.jpg  0x0112 Image Orientation Short 1  1
12.jpg  0x0112 Thumbnail Orientation Short 1  6

notice only the image orientation is changed, not the thumbnail one.

I can't figure out how to change also the thumbnail orientation, may
be somebody can help? May be some applications a disturbed by the fact
that image and thumbnail orientation is not the same?

thanks
jdd