[Digikam-users] ICC file for Ricoh GXR

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jul 20 11:58:23 BST 2012

On Friday 20 July 2012 11:44:28 Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:
> Aren't we speaking about RAW (that was the initial question)?
> I don't think the camera profile would be used for anything than display
> the JPEG format on the camera LCD, thus no influence on the RAW captured
> data. And for any other viewing device, it'll be the own profile of this
> other device (screen, printer, ...) that has to be used, even if it is to
> display the embedded JPEG.

What I understood from OP: he was looking for an ICC profile to apply to
the RAW data at the moment of developing the RAW file (darktable,
Lightroom, etc.).

A camera profile NEVER changes the captured RAW data, it is used in post
production to apply a correction to the colours as seen by the camera to
get the correct colours in your working colour space (i.e. to transform
what the camera saw into what it should have seen... ), the same way a
screen profile is used to apply a correction to the colours from your
working space to get them to display correctly.

So if you shoot tethered, you'll indeed need a device profile for the
monitor, to get the best possible display while shooting, but a camera
profile is of no use /there/.

Remco