[Digikam-users] Problems with 'disappearing' images

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Thu Jul 19 01:13:38 BST 2012

On 19/07/12 05:10, Max Bedacht wrote:
> I think that I have seen problems similar to this but I am not sure if
> there has been a solution. The situation is the following:
>
> I have a group of images (12) that have been edited from CR2 originals
> to PNG final versions to JPG full size 100% versions.
>
> For trial submission to an agency I need to re-size, convert color space
> to Adobe and put author/copyright info into a new JPG version.
>
> I use the batch processor with the three commands (Convert, re-size,
> apply metadata template). I set parameters to place the new images in
> the same directory as the originals, appending -sample to the file name.
>
> After the batch is done all of the images have been processed, and all
> of the new images are in the output directory, but in the catalog there
> are two that do not show the -sample image.
>
> I have tried removing all of the images from the catalog and
> re-importing - the result is that the same 2 images are missing.
>
> I have done an sqlite3 vacuum on the database and the results continue
> missing the 2 images.
>
> I deleted all the -samples and re-ran the commands, placing the
> resulting images in another, new, directory. This time only one image
> was missing from the catalog, although it was in the directory, but it
> was not one of the original missing images.
>
> I don't know where to go from here, any ideas?
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with Digikam 2.7.

Hi Max,

Two things come to mind. Sorry if they seem odd but I suspect you are
probably open to dumb suggestions.

First, try removing th "-" and replacing with "_" instead. Sometimes I
find some characters are just not processed correctly (see story below).

Second, I vaguely remember similar issues being discussed on the forum.
 From memory it related to metadata. Look at the type of metadata in the
originals and the symbols used. Try making a copy with another package,
say GIMP, stripping the existing metadata and try again.

If you have access to a Windows or Mac, which I presume you do as I am
pretty sure CR2 does not run on Ubuntu, try using ExifTools
(http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) to see if something
different is in the metadata for the images that are being problematic.

*True Story* - I had some data I imported from Windows to Ubuntu. The
data was raw text. I imported into LibreOffice Calc. Calc then displayed
very peculiar behaviour with sheets being parsed mid-sheet and visually
offset by a number of pixels. Visually it appeared the data was walking
of the page. In the end I tracked it down to use of the degrees symbol
(as in degrees Celsius) in the windows dataset -- once I removed this
everything worked. Apparently this symbol differs between code pages.
The lesson I learned from this is, where possible always use UTF-8 or
UTF-16 code pages in text being moved around platforms otherwise stick
to the absolute basics -- azAZ09; no symbols.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides
    Introduction               http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
    GIS Packages           http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/gis
    bash / Python    http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/scripting