[Digikam-users] RAW editing

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 13:19:34 GMT 2012

2012/1/21 Remco Viëtor <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr>:
> On Saturday 21 January 2012 11:29:06 Martin wrote:
>> Am 21.01.2012 11:10, schrieb Anders Lund:
>> > On Lørdag den 21. januar 2012, gerlos wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> > That is absolutely right. But I don't see darktable doing a better job
>> > than digikam, albeit a different one. So far, I see darktable images
>> > being a bit more saturated/vivid than the preview, while digikam goes a
>> > bit the other way. (I use a canon EOS 30D)
>>
>> For me the main difference here is that darktable does a constant job.
>> If I have a series of pictures the results are predictable (more than
>> with digikams raw processing). Esp. if you enables some of the automatic
>> tools the results are sometimes very good but sometimes next to useless.
>> And then it is very hard to get a pleasing result with digikam's
>> available settings.
>
> What settings do you use for the raw import (from 'settings', then 'Raw
> decoding tab')? I tell it to always use the last option: 'Always open the Raw
> Import tool...'). This, like other tools, keeps the settings from the previous
> use.
>
> And, click the 'Update' button after a change to apply the changes. Don't use
> the 'Use default' button, as it applies the defaults defined in the settings
> dialog, and imports straight away.
>
> And I agree that raw decoding seems slow in Digikam, compared to e.g.
> darktable; otoh, once you have a good preview, importing it is virtually
> instantanuous.

compile libkdcraw and libraw with OpenMP support. Install libgomp
devel package, and look if demosaicing parallelization
is supported in digiKam Help/Components Info dialog.

As libkdcraw print a lots of debug message in the console, disabling
debug in libkdcraw and enabling all speed-up optimization, will change
your life with Raw import performance...