[Digikam-users] RAW editing

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sat Jan 21 11:46:13 GMT 2012

On Lørdag den 21. januar 2012, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Am Samstag, 21. Januar 2012, 11:10:54 schrieb Anders Lund:
> > That is absolutely right. But I don't see darktable doing a better job
> > than digikam, albeit a different one. So far, I see darktable images
> > being a bit more saturated/vivid than the preview, while digikam goes a
> > bit the other way. (I use a canon EOS 30D)
> >
> > The problem must relate to knowing how the camera jpeg is created, maybe
> > that knowledge is part of what you pay for using a commercial tool?
>
> http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch03s04s13.html.php has defaults that
> work a lot better than the digikam defaults which do not apply any base
> curve.

Yes, and maybe darktable applies a few more corrections?

> Another example, set digikam to reconstruct the highlights and then do the
> same in darktable. Digikam produces a dark image while darktable does not.

I guess darktable have a curve to compensate -  at least that is what I do
using digikam. I had to figure that out, of course, and create some presets.

Maybe we can agree that digikam is missing some pr camera defaults to apply,
and compensation for highlight rebuilding.

It is interresting to identify how digikam could/should be improved, as I
prefer digikams UI to darktable.

--
Anders