[Digikam-users] 2.5/KDE Crash - can't successfully open DK

Paul Verizzo paulv at paulv.net
Fri Jan 13 13:42:48 GMT 2012

Hi, I just installed 2.5 on Windows over 2.2, as always "Thank You!" to
the team compiling this.  Lacking any instructions, I've always just run
the new EXE file and let it overwrite or add to the original folder.  (I
did discover that 2.2 had a different digikam.exe location from 1.9 and
had a different folder layout, but no real issues.)

On opening, after 65 seconds, there is the folder view with each album
name and number of images, just like always. BUT, there are no images.
My newest folders are there, but "zero" images noted or displayed.  For
several minutes after opening the hard disk continues to thrash and in
the lower left corner it says, Scanning Collection0%.  But that never
changes.  And then after a few more minutes, up pops the KDE Crash
Handler dialogue box.  That is a completely new experience.

While I was typing the above, I did it all a third time, this time no
KDE Crash Handler (so far) but still no images in folders.

I guess the easy answer to getting those images is to rebuild the
database, scanning all from scratch.  What about the crashing, if it
returns?  Delete the program folder and install fresh?

Thanks, Paul