[Digikam-users] jpg to png conversion

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 09:25:26 GMT 2012

On 13/01/12 08:31, Dr. Martin Senftleben wrote:
> This gigantic file size never came to my attention. I had transformed
> jpgs to png, which caused a size increase of more than 10 times. Wow!
> And when I reduce this png, they become about 15 MB in size, while the
> originals are 5-6 MB. Very strange, but I guess not. I probably will
> never understand the mechanics behind this, even though I know that it
> has to do with colour tables or so.

I have to ask why you converted jpg files to png?

jpg is a lossy format which means that some image information is simply
not preserved in the file, it has been lost. When a jpg file is used to
recreate an image the lost information cannot be recreated exactly, it
is replaced with something that will hopefully look about right. png is
a lossless format so no information is lost in the file, images can be
recreated exactly. However converting jpg to png simply locks in place
and preserves the recreated image complete with the replacement
information that is only an imitation of the original. It cannot ever
exactly recreate the original image information as that was lost when
the jpg was created.
The lossy compression used by jpg allows it to create a smaller file
size in comparison to png which is lossless ie png simply stores more
data and so is bigger.

Andrew