[Digikam-users] Digikam - Darktable workflow

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Tue Jan 3 11:09:56 GMT 2012

I have a similar setup (Canon 30D - yes little old). But my workflow is
a little bit different.

Mostly I import all photos with digikam importer. Within this I rename
the images from img_xxxx.cr2 to something easier. I only rename the img_
part, so the number remains. Usually I dont shot more than 6000 photos a
year, so this is something like a yearly id.

The img_ part is changed to the year and a brief description of the
event or location. A family photo taken on Easter with original named
img_1234.cr2 changes to family-easter-2011_1234.cr2.

I organize my photos in a mixture of date based folders and
event/location based folders. I often take photos for my local community
administration. These photos are organized in one subfolder (level 1)
and named according to the main event (like parliament, meetings - level
2), year (level 3) and the exact date (level 4).

Most of the other photos are organized in a similar way. A roughly main
group as first level, sometimes a minor name as second level, the year
and then the date. I used the year as first level for several years but
I was tired in creating similar structure for every year again and again.

After that darktable is used. I develop the photos mostly in one run.
For a friend I shot wedding photos. These took some days to get
developed properly. Some other bigger events are the same. But in most
cases I have enough time to develop the photos, so no need do a first
selection and after some time the rest.

I don't start darktable from within digikam. I mostly use collections in
darktable. Usually I do all settings in darktable and export the photos
as jpeg. In some cases where I have to do special work (portrait photos
i.e.) I export the photos to png and do the work in gimp, where I use
gimps own file format.

As Marie I sometimes clone the raw (nice feature in darktable btw.) and
build a complete different setup of photos (mostly black/white). And I
always store all different incarnations of one photos in one folder.

Initial star rating is mostly done in darktable where I take a first
detail look on the photos. Detailed rating afterwards is done in digikam
(does not happen that often).

I dont use the tagging feature in darktable (besides photographer name).
All tagging is done in digikam. I use tagging for my print selections as
well.

If I want to print photos (never on my own printer - I use a lab which
handles colour profiles) I use digikams batch function. depending on the
size I plan to print I reduce the photos and add a small frame (most
labs cut of about 1,5% of the photo at the margins). Batch job puts the
resulting photos in my out folder, from where I send them to the lab.
These output photos stays there for several month (just in case I need
them once again). Every now and then I clean up the out folder.

If I need photos for the web I have a collection of scripts to
postprocess the photos from the out folder.

That's for the start
Martin