[Digikam-users] Digikam - Darktable workflow

Ivan Tarozzi itarozzi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 10:04:03 GMT 2012

On 03/01/2012 08:42, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:
[cut]

> I'd like very much to read from others about their own DK-DT workflow.

Here my workflow (I hope my poor english will be understandable :)

I'm running a Debian testing/sid 64bit with Darktable 0.9.3 and DK
2.4.1, both compiled from sources. My workflow still work in progress,
becasuse there are some features I changed and other I'm not satisfied.
I hope this thread help me to find a better solution :)

I dowload my raw (DNG) files with Rapid Download Manager (for historical
reason, but I plan to switch to DT or DK).
I collect my RAW in a separate folder, with following structure:
RAW/year/yyyymmdd
When importing I rename files as yyyymmdd_IVNxxxx.DNG (where IVNxxxx is
created by my camera as univocal).

Then I select/rate my raw directly in DT. I import new folder as
unrated, so I know what are to be to processed (rated or rejected/deleted).

I develop my raw and then I export to a DK Album folder.
Album is structured as macro-categories, but less important, because DK
offer a really good filtering on tags.
I export jpeg files in max 2000px long size. I started some month ago
exporting TIFF 16bit full resolution (12Mpixel), but I was not satisfied
becasue:
- a lot of space required
- big files then big memory required also to view it
- my linux mediacenter is slow to show a slide
- the most of pictures are used for web or PC view (limited resolutions)
- when I need to print, often a jpeg is  adequate; if I need better then
I can export from DT in tiff on a dedicate print folder

Finally I export to web/flickr using DK or GIMP (save for web plugin).

Actually I have some doubt about this:

- I rate in DT, and rating is imported in DK. But if I change rate in DK
or assign tags, when I reopen in DT it seems not to be update.

- I rate/tag jpeg files, and not raw. So I can't use "open in DT"
features. This is annoing because I need to read the file name and then
find it in DT. Is not done often, but uneasy :(
I will do some test putting raw/jpeg in the same directory, or tagging
directly raw, but I have some doubt about sync raw-jpeg.

- I would like to do some test about web-export/print-export quality. Is
it the same exporting by DT or exporting by DK/gimp?

-  I need to create my hown standard for label colors in DK, so for
exemple use a color for flickr exported, a color for "to be done" ....

That's all folks :)

Thanks  Marie-Noëlle for open this thread; i find it interesting.

Ivan