[Digikam-users] How to use versioning?

Andreas Mair amair.sob at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:44:53 BST 2012

Hello,

I've finally found time to update to KDE 4.8.5 and digiKam 2.8.0 and
test again. But nothing changed.

For your convenience I copy'n'pasted my findings from a previous mail:
digiKam settings: Metadata / Behavior / Reading and Writing Metadata
If I enable "Write to sidecar files" and set this option to anything
but "Write to XMP sidecar for read-only image only" versioning
*doesn't* work (even if image is read-only).
I mean:
- on that page I've only enabled "Read from sidecar files" and nothing
else => versioning works (history OK)
- now enable "Wright to sidecar files" and set it to "Write to XMP
sidecar for read-only image only" => versioning still works
- now set "Wright to sidecar files" to "Write to sidecar only" or
"Write to image and XMP Sidecar" => versioning *not* works

By talking about "versioning" I mean that I open an image in the
digikam editor, apply some filter and then call "save changes".

Any ideas what's sill wrong? I've appended the used components at the
end of this mail.

Best regards,
Andreas

=== Used components ===
digiKam version 2.8.0
Exiv2 can write to Jp2: Yes
Exiv2 can write to Jpeg: Yes
Exiv2 can write to Pgf: Yes
Exiv2 can write to Png: Yes
Exiv2 can write to Tiff: Yes
Exiv2 supports XMP metadata: Yes
LibCImg: 130
LibClapack: external shared library
LibExiv2: 0.21.1
LibJPEG: 80
LibJasper: 1.900.1
LibKDE: 4.8.5 (4.8.5)
LibKExiv2: 2.1.0
LibKGeoMap: 2.0.0
LibKdcraw: 2.0.1
LibLCMS: 119
LibLensFun: external shared library
LibLqr: internal library
LibPGF: 6.12.27 - external shared library
LibPNG: 1.5.10
LibQt: 4.8.2
LibRaw: 0.14.4
LibTIFF: LIBTIFF, Version 4.0.2 Copyright (c) 1988-1996 Sam Leffler
Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Marble Widget: 0.13.3 (stable release)
Parallelized PGF codec: No
Parallelized demosaicing: Yes
Database backend: QSQLITE
LibKface: 2.0.0
LibKipi: 1.3.0
LibOpenCV: 2.3.1
Libface: 0.2

2012/6/20 Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk>:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:17:18 +0200
> Andreas Mair <amair.sob at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > Versioning involves information stored in image metadata, which may
>> > explain that a bug in metadata writing can affect versioning.
>> >
>> > Are you sure that you run libkexiv2 newer than April? I strongly
>> > recommend not to use sidecars with any older version.
>>
>> I'm using kde-base/libkexiv2-4.8.3 and media-gfx/digikam-2.6.0 on a
>> Gentoo Linux box.
>> Is this new enough?
>
> On Fedora libkexiv2-4.8.3 was built on 30th April, so that library
> version must precede that date.
>
> I can see a libexiv2-4.8.4, dated in early June. There don't seem to be
> any later upstream versions, so this is probably the version which has
> the post-April fixes.
>
> --
>
> Brian Morrison

http://andreas.vdr-developer.org --- VDRAdmin-AM & EnigmaNG &