[Digikam-users] No sound in digikam, Falling back to loopback

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 18:41:15 BST 2012

cassow píše v So 18. 08. 2012 v 07:11 -0700:
> thanks. I use xfce, not KDE and cannot find any tool for configuring phonon.
> Is there aything I could install? Maybe I have to swithc to KDE?

Switching to KDE should not be neccessary.

I use Xfce on Arch with ALSA (no Pulseaudio running on top).
This is the list of packages installed on my system, which might have
relevance to basic KDE setup:

extra/kdebase-lib 4.9.0-1
    KDE libraries for the basic desktop applications
extra/kdebase-runtime 4.9.0-3
    Plugins and applications necessary for the running of KDE
applications
extra/kdebase-workspace 4.9.0-1 (kde)
    Provides the interface and basic tools for the KDE workspace
extra/kdelibs 4.9.0-4
    KDE Core Libraries
extra/phonon 1:4.6.0-2
    The multimedia framework for KDE
extra/phonon-gstreamer 4.6.2-1
    Phonon GStreamer backend
extra/gstreamer0.10 0.10.36-1
    GStreamer Multimedia Framework
and a lot of GStreamer plugins.

Try to run KDE Control Panel ("systemsettings" from terminal) and go to
Hardware section, Multimedia. The second tab shows "GStreamer" as
backend for phonon (and nothing else).

P.S. Who the hell invented the "nothing-saying" names of apps in Menu /
Settings? System setup, System settings, Settings Editor. How shall the
user know to which DE it relates to?

On the first tab with the list of available devices, you can highlight
one of them and click "Test" button.

When the test plays, I do not see any "phonon" process running. Though,
I am not an KDE expert, the sound functionality might be provided by
some kdeinit process or what. I am quite sure I do not start any KDE
services through Xfce or other autostart scripts.

So, it works for me just fine and as far as I remember, it used to work
with Pulseaudio as well.

Regards,

Milan