[Digikam-users] Shortcut to Edit Metadata Dialog

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Wed Aug 15 12:02:56 BST 2012

On 15/08/12 19:10, Peter Albrecht wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> to define shortcuts (in almost all KDE applications):
>
> 1) in the main menu go to:
>     "Settings" -> "Configure Shortcuts..."
> 2) search for "meta"
> 3) select "Edit All Metadata"
> 4) set "(o) Custom"
> 5) click "None" to define a new shortcut
>     (e.g. CTRL + SHIFT + M)
> 6) click "OK"
>
> This works for me with digiKam 2.5.0.
>

> Have you tried the sideview "Caption/Tags" on the right side?
>
> I can do all my meta-data-edit with this dialog:
>    - rating
>    - adjust date/time
>    - caption
>    - tags
>
> What metadate do you edit else? (Just curious ;)
>
> Regards,
> 	Peter Albrecht
>
> On 15.08.2012 08:53, Simon Cropper wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The main Album View provides several ways of viewing and
>> searching on metadata. If I want to edit the Metadata I need
>> to select "Image > Metadata > Edit All Metadata" from the
>> main menu when a picture is selected.
>>
>> Is there any other way that will open this dialog box
>> quickly? Ideally a shortcut would be good or an icon next to
>> the save-print-clipboard buttons at the top of the metadata
>> information.

Peter,

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried the shortcut thing already. Searching for "meta" does not bring
up "Edit All Metadata". I am using Ubuntu 12.04 (which has KDE 4.8.4)
with DigiKam 2.8.0. Obviosly the latest version has dropped that
shortcut. Hopefully it will be reinserted on the next update.

In regards to metadata,
- I am using tagging extensively which can use the sidebar;
- dc.Content in the Edit XMP, which as chance has it can be updated by
typing text in the Captions field.
- copyright and usage information specific to image or particular
version of image.

So, as you point out most common data can be edited in this area. The
reason is that the generic fields in this tab appear to put the entered
values into multiple fields through out the metadata.

I am a bit of an information junkie however, so when updating the
information on an image I want to ensure all information is updated so I
don't have to come back to it again.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides