[Digikam-users] starred photos all crashed !

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 26 13:27:33 BST 2012

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012, dantou wrote:

> Hi
> I was on 1.9 version on Mageia.
> I try the 2.1 vers on Ubuntu, and I comment a lot of photos and labelled them
> at 3 stars.
> But, when I opened them on 1.9 vers. Dgk told me it is not possible to open.
> And it's the same onto 2.1 vers, ans on another sytems showfoto, darktable,
> genview ...
> So I try by reversing my work, and unstarring them, but it's allways
> impossible to open them.
> Thanks Daniel

Hello,

What appears (to me) when examining your image file is that the JPEG
structure is broken. Metadata informations sections, EXIF, APP1, APP13,
Comment, seem to be correct, and metadata reading/editing programs seem
to be happy, but the image Scan data section is corrupted, bytes are
missing, the JPEG End Of Image marker (xFF xD9) at end is missing, etc.
So, image display programs complain and refuse to "open".

NB: "cannot open" is not often a useful message. The Gwenview viewer
says : "Corrupt JPEG data: premature end of data segment", and confirms
the file structure is invalid.

I'm afraid this file is dead for display, whatever edition, rating or
not, you do. Something bad happened during that file life, but when.

Regards,
Jean-François