[Digikam-users] Best way manage free form information about the content of an image?

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Tue Apr 17 14:08:24 BST 2012

Hi All,

Sorry for the tardy reply. I had some issues with getting mail from the
list. Hopefully it is all fixed now.

Thanks for the reply Remco and Shrinivasan.

*Remco*, good advice. This matches with what I expected.

One thing I should of mentioned is that I use Linux (Ubuntu).

I was aware of Exiftool. I used this package alot on Windows before
migrating to Linux. Although it mentions operating on Unix systems there
are no notes on how to get it operating on Linux.

I looked and guess what I have exiv2 on my system. I suppose it was
installed as a dependence when I installed digikam. This looks good. I
will need to play with this to see if I can write a script in bash or
python to get my data out again.

*Shrinivasan T*, thanks for the extra links. Why do you suggest IPTC
tags over others available? Also how you you select one over another in
the configure dialog? I checked 'caption' in the IPTC section of the
configuration window but nothing appeared in the IPTC section of the
metadata area to the right of the photographs. If I select the
'Captions/Tags' option I can see data but this appears to be stored in
the database despite me checking 'save image captions in metadata
embedded in files'. Are you able to point me to a explanation of how to
set this up correctly?

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides