[Digikam-users] Best way manage free form information about the content of an image?

Shrinivasan T tshrinivasan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 05:26:29 BST 2012

> How is this information best stored - tags, comments, captions, notes?

Use IPTC tags for easy entry and access.

> How safe is the information once captured? If the directory tree is
> changed or file moved how can I ensure the data goes with the image?

They will be kept safe with the images itself,even if we move the
images across devices.

> How can I export this data, with or without image, to an external format
> -- a webpage or example?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTC_Information_Interchange_Model
https://scribblesandsnaps.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/work-with-photo-metadata-in-digikam/

https://code.google.com/p/jbrout/ use it to export iptc data.

If you need any specific requirement on IPTC data export,
I will help you by writing python scripts to do so.

--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan

My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com